February 11, 2020
by Doug and Vivek
To make Friday more fun, we remotely worked from the top of a U-Haul for the day.
We wouldn't recommend it. It turns out the top of a U-Haul is quite flimsy! Also, the ergonomics aren't great up there.
We'll have more lessons learned and a v2 of this remote work experiment coming soon...
The top left icon is now always a donut.
- You no longer turn orange due to idleness. Instead, the donut gradually transforms from a full circle to a thin ring.
- In Live Avatar - Keyboard/Mouse and Photo Mode, the full circle becomes a ring over 3 min of inactivity.
- In Live Avatar - Keyboard/Mouse, the avatar grays out only after the full 3 min have elapsed (as opposed to old 15s).
- In Live Avatar - Facial Recognition, Pragli shows a full circle if you are detected and a ring if you are not.
Your status indicator now turns orange only if you:
- Are in a conversation / channel
- Set a manual status with "warn" behavior
- Automatically get a status via a calendar event with "warn" behavior
Your status indicator turns red if you:
- Set a manual status with "block" behavior
- Automatically get a status via a calendar event with "block" behavior
Your status indicator turns black if you're offline.
- Simplicity - reduces 5 disparate symbols (green dot, orange dot, yellow triangle, red cross circle, black dot) to 4 similar symbols (green, orange, red, black, all donuts)
- Less Overbearing - you stay green even if idle. In keyboard/mouse mode, your avatar doesn't gray out until 3 minutes have elapsed (vs 15s before)
- "Chance of Response" signal - the donut still gives a sense if the person may have just stepped away momentarily, so you know that you might not reach them if you start a conversation
We want to know what you think! Share your feedbajck with us via the blue chat bubble in the bottom right of Pragli.
(Graphic from 6 categories of remote teams)
- Social Signals #3: Using Google or Outlook Calendar to signal availability
- Getting Started with Pragli
- How to authenticate with Google Oauth in Electron
- Firebase as a React Hook - as featured on Hacker News, discussed by @Firebase, featured in Firebase Weekly
- How we hired a part-time QA Tester for $40 / session
- Building a walkie-talkie for remote work - as featured on Hacker News
- The 6 categories of remote teams
- Social Signals #4: Using audio channels to signal status
- We worked from the top of a U-Haul last Friday
- New logo! Thanks for filling out our survey last time.
🍩Presence Rework: presence is simpler and less overbearing. See spotlight.
📅Calendar Rework: calendar events are simpler and more clear
😊Logo: the homepage, blog, and product now show the new logo
🖥Size Memory: Pragli remembers its size and location across boots
🛑Better Updates: future updates will never start while you're in a conversation or channel
🧐Debuggability: we made some big internal improvements to our ability to diagnose bugs and crashes
17 contemptible 🐛🦗🐜: Keep the bug reports coming!️